Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Note From Our Owner

An update on our Owner's recovery...


My recovery is going very well.  With five surgeries in six weeks we have had a few setbacks, but there have been major accomplishments which we are blessed for.

The accident happened in Kingman, Arizona on the 18th of August. From there I was transported to Las Vegas for reconstruction of my lower leg. Infection set in after that surgery and I had a debrement of soft tissue and muscle to try to manage that infection. After that surgery the Doctor recommended amputation. Even though I was able to accept that, I didn't want to do that in Las Vegas. We were able to fly to Springfield, Illinois and meet with an Orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. After his review, he thought the leg could be saved.  



The reason for the potential amputation was that the soft tissue around my bone was removed as a result of the previous infection. Even though they put a rod in my leg and wrapped the broken bones around it, the compounded fractures were not covered by any soft tissue. Soft tissue makes our bones grow. They ended up having to remove soft tissue and muscle from other parts of my body to cover the exposed bone and rod. It took three surgeries to do this. It takes extra time to see if the transplants will "live" in their new place. We had one set back, but in the end this worked.

Once the transplants were successful, then we needed to wait to see if the bone would grow back. On October 20, we found out that there is some growth in the bone that was repaired.

I am working on physical therapy movement in my knee and ankle now.  I am also working on regaining strength and weight in my body.  At the same time, I am taking an antibiotic for an infection I got while in the hospital from multiple surgeries. My wife, Nancy, is a good nurse and is tending to the antibiotic infusion. 




After this antibiotic is done and I am clear of the infection, I will be back at the store.  I deeply appreciate how well the employees have taken care of our customers' needs and each other while I have been gone. I am truly thankful for you as a group and your actions have helped me heal as I didn't worry about this business while recovering. Thank you to everyone for all the support.


Sincerely,


Scott Baum
Baum Chevrolet Buick & Baum Motor Company

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home Scott! Please know that the class of 1980 is here for you and cheering you on! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are healing so well! Kari said it well, we are here for you and cheering you on! Sending you healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you are home and on the mend. Mom and dad have kept me updated on your progress. Miss you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you the best of luck on your road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken and I are sending our best wishes - glad you are home and on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been praying and will continue to pray for you! So happy to hear you are healing and in good spirits!!

    ReplyDelete